How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4966
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a British citizen living in Greece. I have been in Greece

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen living in Greece. I have been in Greece for 12 years now and, in the past, have been employed by small businesses. Now I want to become self-employed as I have the chance of writing work online. I would be working for companies based in the USA, UK, Australia and Russia, but NOT for companies within Greece. A local Greek accountant told me the only way to do this here would be to become a journalist (which I am not) and pay 26% tax with no allowances (and €300 per month national insurance), which I would not be able to afford, and charge an extra 16% VAT to the people I will write for, which they will not be able to afford. We’re not talking a lot of money here, just enough to get by. I live in a rented house with my partner and share the rent etc.
I am told by a freelance friend, also British, that there is a way I can register as freelance as a UK citizen in the UK, even though I live here, and arrange to pay tax through the UK. This scheme does come with allowances and I can self-assess one per year. I have written to HRMC via their website and am awaiting a reply, but thought I should find out if there is anything more I should know while I wait.
So, the question is: do you think I should be eligible for this scheme based on the fact that a) I am a British citizen, b) I have no Greek income c) I will work for companies online who are based around the world but not in Greece? And if it doesn’t sound like I qualify, what should I do about declaring my income!
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Firstly the Inland Revenue ceased to exist some years ago when it was amalgamated with HM Customs and Excise for form HMRC.
As an EEA citizen you would be entitled to the annual Personal Allowance, currently 10.6K. Providing that you have an UK accommodation address from which to theoretically operate you should have no problem unless your turnover in a year reaches or approaches 82K in any one year in which case you would have to register your business for VAT and charge 20% on all your UK invoices, operate reverse charge for EU customers and zero rated supplies for exports outside the EU.
A alternative would be to set up an UK company and work through that. You could pay yourself a salary, but if you are a director you would have to do this under PAYE arrangements. That is how I would do it for preference.
I do hope I have shed some light on your position for you.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - I meat the HMRC of course! Embarassed

No problem, but you would be surprised at the number of people who don't know of the merger!
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.