How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My 20 yr old daughter is living in a 2 room flat in Plymouth

This answer was rated:

My 20 yr old daughter is living in a 2 room flat in Plymouth with her partner. She is a full time student taking the final year of a teaching degree. Her only means of support is her student loan. She has a four month old baby. Her partner, who lives with her, has had occasional jobs as a trainee chef. The last job he did was a four day 'trail' where he found out that they had only taken him on because they were short handed -when he got home after the fourth day, he found his pay packet contained £15 for four days work!! He is now on the job seekers program. As you can imagine they are pretty desperate. Plymouth council hit them with a £300 bill after Christmas at a time when daughter had been in labour for 2 days finishing up with an emergency Caesarian and massive blood transfusion - not the ideal time to come making demands. Plymouth are now demanding another £174 and intend taking her to Court. What percentage of council tax should my daughter be paying and what should be done now? Your help would be much appreciated.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Here is the advice from the Gov UK web site regarding Council Tax:
'3. Discounts for full-time students
Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.
To count as a full-time student, your course must:
Last at least 1 year
Involve at least 21 hours study per week
If you study for a qualification up to A level and you’re under 20, your course must:
Last at least 3 months
Involve at least 12 hours study per week
You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there’s someone in your household who’s not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.'
So now you see what is happening. Your daughter has probably received a full bill when she is entitled to the 25% discount for which she must apply. If Plymouth are so stupid as to go to Court it will almost certainly be in the Small Claims Court which is actually an arbitration. If it is not listed there she should requested that it be treated as a small claim. In any event, if she applies for discount the the Council's stupidity can be exposed in open court and they will emerge with a considerable amount of egg on their faces.
I would also suggest that she exposes their current antics to her local media outlets.
I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Keith - the bit about the papars had been at the back of my mind, although I was thinking one of the more vociferous nationals.

Even better!
Thank you for your support.