How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4957
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife and I bought a guest house in 1988 for £145,000. For

This answer was rated:

My wife and I bought a guest house in 1988 for £145,000. For tax purposes we divided the house into two-thirds commercial and one-third private.
In 2008 the property was valued at £390,000.
At that point we then spent £100,000 converting the house into two flats. £45,000 went into Flat 2 which we rented out. £55,000 went into Flat 1 which we live in.
We have sold Flat 2 for £200,000.
How do we calculate the Capital Gains Tax on the sale of Flat 2?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
For the period 88 - 08 (20 years) Capital Gains Tax would apply to 2/3 of the gain 390K - 145K @ 2/3 = 163.3K. You now have an 'acquisition price of 390K. Divide by 2 add 45K, improvements, = 240K. Loss on phase 2 is 40K - 163.3K, a final gain of 123.3K. Divide by 2 gives 61.65K each subject to CGT at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on individuals' income income including the gain in the year of sale. Each has an Annual Exempt Amount of 11.1K leaving ; worst case scenario a bill of say 14.15425K each.
Confused, you will be! I do hope that you have found my computation of some use.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.