How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Please help me here..I am receiving tax assessment penalty

This answer was rated:

Please help me here..I am receiving tax assessment penalty demands and am unable to get hold of the tax office..i have been trying for weeks..I gave u work in 2012 and have not worked or claimed benefits since..I have also moved 3 times in the last yearas we were vicitims of an endowment loss and in doing so have lost boxes containing wag slips etc..I also rec a penalty demand for 200.00 which I have paid..I managed to speak to a lady when I paid this who suggested I send a letter in to the tax office..I've written 3 reply...apparently I didn't need to do a tax's just that as I'm not working or claiming benefits, I have gone off the radar, i'm last p60 and any wage slips or information I have has been sent to the tax office..this was weeks penalties are going up daily and are now at 1200.00...I don't know what else to do...any advice would be welcome as this is making me ill...many thanks Lorraine Hopkins

Which tax year did you last complete a tax return for? Which tax years have you received penalties for? Have you kept copies of the letters you have written to HMRC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I was employed up until 2012 and my last p60 went to the tax office.

I haven't worked or claimed benefits since.

The penalties are for the year ending 2012.

No I didn't keep copies of the letters sent..I also sent any letters sent to me and wage slips to the tax office


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you

Hi again.

Before I start I have to tell you that I have no quick solutions for you. All you can do is follow the set procedures to get things sorted out.

I suspect that this has gone on for so long because you have moved on three separate occasions and, therefore, it has taken time for HMRC to find you given that you say that you haven't worked or claimed benefits since 2012.

Normally, once a tax return has been issued it should be completed and submitted. However, if it can be shown that you didn't owe any tax for the tax year in question, HMRC have discretion to waive any late submission penalties. I don't understand why your letters appear to have not been answered as all correspondence sent to HMRC is now scanned into their computer database so that service staff have access to it.

You have tried calling HMRC and have probably had to wait for an inordinate amount of time which appears not to have resulted in any action by HMRC so it's time to take the gloves off.

You need to make a formal complaint. Complaints managers are, in my experience, very good at investigating a problem and knocking heads together to get them resolved.

Read the notes here and here and then call the self-assessment number here. You may have to wait to be answered so the best times to call are at 8am on weekdays and on Saturdays. Short of writing to HMRC which you have already tried, there is no other way of having matters resolved unless you go to a third party such as the Citizen's Advice Bureau, your MP, TaxAid or Tax Help for Older People.

If and when you do get through to HMRC, tell the person who takes your call that you want to make a verbal complaint and you will either be put through to a complaints manager or your number will be taken for a call back. When you do get to speak to the complaints manager, give them a full explanation of your situation and what you have tried to do to have it resolved. Make a note of their name and the date and time of the call. The complaints manager will then look into your case and report back to you. If the proposed resolution isn't to your satisfaction, then you have other choices as explained under "Taking your complaint further" here . I would be inclined to contact one of the third parties I mentioned above first though.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you