How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

As an employer how do I change my employees tax code from the

This answer was rated:

As an employer how do I change my employees tax code from the ones used in 14/15 to the one to be used in tax year 15/16?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. Your question floored me for a minute. I ran a large manual payroll section years ago and this problem never came up.
In a word, you don't! You have to wait for HMRC to send you the new code for 15/16. Here is what HMRC have to say on the subject:
'When we send a new tax code for any of your employees, you will receive:
• a paper form P9(T), ‘Notice to employer of employee’s tax code’, or
• an Electronic Data Interchange notice of coding, or
• an internet notification of coding if you are registered to use our PAYE Online – Internet service'
So what you actually do is [same source]:
'Carry forward the authorised tax code from the 2014 to 2015 payroll record to the 2015 to 2016 payroll record.
Authorised codes include BR, D0, D1 and NT. But if you have received a 2014 to 2015 tax code on a form P6 too late to use in 2014 to 2015 carry forward this code instead.'
Alternatively, if the 14/15 code was a 'L' suffix code, you add 60 to the 14/15 tax code and operate that.
I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your payroll problem. It is not unknown for HMRC to issue a P2 to an employee and fail to send a P6 to the employer and vice versa. If your employee has a P2 for 15/16 you may use that code, but only on a Month or Week 1 basis.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.