How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4795
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a sole trader in the construction industry. I pay cis

This answer was rated:

I am a sole trader in the construction industry. I pay cis at source and i have 2 employees. I work for main contractors and they deduct tax from me less cost of materials and vat. Can I allow in the deductions my employees wages as they are already paying PAYE.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Of course you can. Employees' wages are part of your cost of sales, but actually, in this case, they are not actually employees, but in reality sub-contractors. The amounts deductible are, of course, gross so you include both the sum you pay through CIS on their behalf and the net sum you pay to them also as part of your costs.
It really is a bit of a muddle and the CIS scheme was introduced as a measure to reduce tax avoidance which as you are probably aware was rife in the building [cash in hand sir, excellent!] industry.
I do hope I have managed to resolve your problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


The 2 boys are employees of my company and they pay PAYE. I am the sub contractor and I pay them on the books.

Oh, I see, sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, all their gross wages plus the employer's element of National Insurance you have to pay form part of your cost of sales.
The tax deducted from you under CIS you should post as a suspense item in your books which will eventually clear when you settle with HMRC at the end of each self assessment year.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.