How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4957
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm looking capital gains tax calculator that allows

This answer was rated:

I'm looking for a capital gains tax calculator that allows me to input short sales/buy to cover as well as usual buy/sell trades?
thanks !
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
I assume that you refer to capital gains and losses on stocks and shares; am I correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes thats correct

Here are a few suggestions:
Some users swear by a product from Iris, but warn that it is expensive.
Personally, when I was involved in heavy share trading years ago (I pulled out of the stock market just before it all went pear shaped), I maintained the details on a spread sheet. Don't forget that losses offset gains within the tax year and that you have an Annual Exempt Amount of 11.1K [15/16 tax year; it was 11K last year] as a further offset.
I do hope I have been able to point you in the right direction. Most of these systems can be seen before you purchase, but a home made spread sheet comes free!
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.