How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4791
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I worked in Germany 5 years. My husband served in

Customer Question

I worked in Germany for about 5 years. My husband served in the RAF and was posted to Germany between Sep 1972 and Sept 1975 and again from Jan 1977 to Jan 1980. During these dates, I worked for a German company called Vogt & Wolf. I have a verscherungsnachweise but do not know how to claim any pension that I might be eligible for. Could you tell me how I can find out about what the entitlement is, if any and how I go about claiming this pension. Many thanks. Jane Hawson
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jane, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Could you please elaboeare a tab? To which pension do you refer, a German one of an UK one? Is this a State Pension or a private one. Once I have this information I hope to be able to help you further.

For your information you are dealing with a retired RAPC/AGC(SPS) Major who actually never served any time in Germany as it happens!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I paid contributions to the Geman tax system while working for Vogt and Wolf, Guterslow. My versicherungsnummer was A 11 130249 D 549 DRURY The address on my Versicherungsnachweise is Gartensstr.(###) ###-####Muenster

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Expatica say:

'You can claim an old-age pension in Germany when you have reached an age between 65 and 67. But while the state pension remains the most important part of old-age income, the German Government has moved to encourage workers to supplement their state pensions with private retirement schemes by offering tax breaks.'

DW's advice does not make good reading:

Although the one piece of good news is that you spent over the magic 5 years in Germany.

At last though I have found some guidance here:

from which one can glean that when you apply for your UK State Pension, and the relevant office will write to you with an indication of the amount payable a few weeks before your entitlement date, you have to draw the Pensions Service to your German contributions at that time so that they can be taken into account through the EU's reciprocal arrangements.

So, that seems to cover State Pensions, for old fogeys like me, your Old Age Pension. I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on your position for you.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.


Paragraph 4: delete 'Pensions Service;' insert 'Pensions Services's attention.'