How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4945
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Can you please help me to come out from this unknowing tax

This answer was rated:

can you please help me to come out from this unknowing tax and its penalties and fine. i don't know what stage in my life. i came in this country in 2004 as a dependant visa. i had worked many places by agency and direct. i was paying tax and NI properly from my wages. I had changed visa as a student visa and i was studying three years. on that period i had only 10hrs/wk for work. but i did not get proper job and worked as cash in hand job for meeting food and sharing accommodation. i did not save any money and i struggled to live. i have applied for my permanent residence visa after finish my student visa. then i got it in 2014. after that i have tried to get good job. but i didn't get any permanent job yet. thus these last year i worked a few times in different places and different agency. i did not have proper income and still i don't have. last year when get a letter from hmrc for penalty i don't what reason and no any place to go ask. i thought ok i can pay even i don't know the reason. i am struggling for living. and make a direct debt 50 pounds every months to finish that money which says late penalty. again now get this letter. again fine letter. some debt collection agency. i don't know what is happening. i have no enough income to pay these taxes and penalties and fine any body i can discus directly or where i will go for complaint..? please help me sir.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Have you made a self assessment tax return for the year to which HMRC refer in their penalty notices? This may well be the problem here. If your income is under the Personal Allowance for th years in question you have no tax to pay. This is the way ahead. Submit the missing tax returns to HMRC and all your problems are likely to disappear. Get on to your tax office and request the forms, SA100s, for the years in question or, if you have the forms to hand already, complete them and submit them. If you are really in difficulties your local Citizens' Advice Bureau can assist.

I do hope that my answer has been of assistance to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Keith,

thanks for giving this information. i do remember that i had tell them by phone about this self assessment. i thought need to calculate my income myself. because of not going any tax or NI contribution. i did not do any self employment business in my life till this time. i paid lots of money to the hmrc unnecessary. can i get this money back. i am still struggling to live.

thanking you


Yes, you can, Baiju. If you have over paid income tax then when you make a self assessment income tax return your money will be returned to you.

Getting these returns done is essential. Obtain the forms from your tax office for completion.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can i claim chiled benifit for my kids even they are in india. their visa expired.but they born here and i have permanent visa. i cant take any risk because it will affect my kids education and good future. now they studying in India.


Here is the Gov UK's advice on this matter:

'You’ll usually get Child Benefit for 8 weeks after your child goes to live with someone else (eg a friend or relative), if nobody else claims. It can continue for longer if you make contributions to your child’s upkeep.'

You should take this matter up with the Child Benefit Office who will advise you as to the exact poition.

Frankly, this goes far beyond the scope of your original query and although I have responded it would be inappropriate to contine when the matter should be the subject of a new question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith,

thank you very much for giving valuable answers....


Delighted to have been of assistance.
Delighted to have been of asstance.