How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My company is telling me i have to pay tax when my wage

This answer was rated:

hi my company is telling me i have to pay tax when my wage each month is over 815 per month im on azero hour contract n doing 30 hours per week this cant be right

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

It is possible that your tax code is incorrect. Your employer must apply the code as notified to them by HMRC. You should receive a copy of this code also, but it is not unknown for the employer to be notified and the employee not and vice versa. Furthermore HMRC admit that thousands of the codes they send out are wrong.

On a salary of GBP 815 per month you are below the personal allowance level of 10600 per annum so, providing you have no other source of income, you should not have any tax being deducted at all although if the monthly income fluctuates you may be taxed one month and get it back again when the monthly income falls. However the 815 is not far from the normal monthly start level for tax, 883, so you could be a borderline case if your tax code is below 1060..

What you should do is to check the tax code sent to you by your tax office. If it is wrong write to the tax office which issued it and ask for it to be corrected. Tax codes do a very effective job of making individuals tax neutral at the end of each year, but only if they are right in the first place.

Actually, I do not think your employer is far out in their advice, just compare the two figures I have given you.

I do hope that I have helped you with your problem.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

Remember, always check tax codes.