TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am a 91 year old pensioner - I have £600.00 State Pension

I am a 91 year old pensioner - I have £600.00 State Pension every month
£ 28.00 Pension from Prudential monthly
£ 80.00 Pension from Avivia monthly
I have savings of £25,000 in a Building Society
I have all my P60 come through do I need to send these to the Tax Office - I am worried about not paying TaX

Leave this with me while I take a look at it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you need any more info from me

I don't need any more information for you.

I have my answer ready but there is a technical issue preventing me from posting it right now and I am waiting for that to be fixed. I can only post info requests at the moment. Rest assured that I will post my answer as soon as I can. I can say that your father has nothing to worry about.

Hi again. Here is my answer. My apologies for the delay. I've addressed the answer to your father directly.

You were entitled to a personal allowance of £10,660 for 2014/15. If your income for that tax year was £8,496 ((£600 x 12) + (£28 x 12) + (£80 x 12)) then you will have no tax to pay so long as the interest on your £25,000 saviings diid not exceed £2,164 gross. If your state pensionis paid every 28 days, then you would have received 13 payments of £600 whch would make your income £9,096 for the year. If the interest was paid net of tax, then you may be due a tax repayment.

If you call the tax office on 0300(###) ###-####and tell them how much building society interest you earned in 2014/15, they will issue a P800 tax calculation to you which will show whether you owe any tax or are due a tax repayment. The tax office will already have your pension figures. There is no need to send any documents to the tax office.

The personal allowance is also £10,600 for the current tax year 2015/16.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

A quick correction. The personal allowance is £10,660 for 2015/16.