How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4965
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I run a small business and have £5000 in depreciation on my

This answer was rated:

I run a small business and have £5000 in depreciation on my tangible fixed assets. Does this depreciation form part of my profits?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

In traditional accounting depreciation is applied to accounts to spread the cost of an asset against the trading income over the anticipated life of the item(s). In fact it reduces your profits.

So far so good. HMRC does not recognise depreciation in taxation computations so having derived your annual profit the first thing that happems in the computation is that it is added back to your profit thus increasing the sum liable to tax. Welcome to the Alice in Womderland world of capital allowances (CAs)!

In place of depreciation in a tax computation you have CAs. These are relatively complex depending on the period(s) in which the expenditure on purchasing the asset occurred, but can be as high as 100% as Iniitial Investment Allowance.

Much further I cannot go without more detail on the matter. Whenever I do a tax computation I have a capital allowance block at the bottom to calculate the various pools, writing down allowances (currently 18% per annum), Initial Investment Allowances etc. The final total of CAs available is applied to the profits from the normal accouning process after addition of the depreciation figure to derive the profit liable to tax.

Simple, as the Meerkat in the TV advert would say.

I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on your question. I suspect that you may have to come back to me on this one.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this and it is precisely what happened. So when completing the capital allowances section it asks whether the business has expensive cars - no is the answer - it says nothing about vans -what is the method for adding this?

Vans are not cars. Indeed you may be surprised to know that camper vans are not classified as cars, but as vans (I did say it was Alice in Wonderland, did i not). Cars are yet another complexity within the CA regime.

Vans are easy, however. They are part of your plant and machinery and within certain limits the total cost of the van will be allowed as an Initial Investment Allowance at 100%.

You merely enter that you have acquired a new item of plant and machinery costing whatever the relevant acquisition price was and it will be allowed at 100%, for now that is. CAs are a bit of a political football at present; who knows what will happen next week.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support