How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Do I pay income tax on 0% rated VAT labour charged to my client? It

This answer was rated:

Do I pay income tax on 0% rated VAT labour charged to my client?
It is a new build (labour is zero rated). Usually it would cost them so I have invoiced them £2544 but I have had to invoice the client at £2120 (less the 20% VAT).
But will I need to pay a further, full income tax on this £2120 lessening my earnings even more for this job?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Are you registered for VAT and charge it on your invoices?

Once I have this information I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I am not VAT registered

Right, as you surmise the construction to which you refer is zero rated anyway. However, beware; if your turnover reaches 82K in any one year you must register for VAT. Turnover is the total of all standard, reduced and zero rated supplies you make.

Your invoice for this work, as you are not registered, should make no mention of VAT (a company I operated once was not registered and to avoid confusion I always endorsed invoices to the effect that it was not registered). You should be billing for the full amount for which you are contracted, in this case 2544, and that is the amount which should have been posted to your accounts as fees received. The invoice of 2120 was, I regret to have to tell you, incorrect.

If you are not registered for VAT you should not consider it when issuing invoices. On the other hand, of course, your purchases of materials will bear VAT and you must include this as part of your cost of sales as unregistered you cannot claim it back. When you close your accounts at the year end the whole net profit, upon which you will be, in basic terms, taxed will come out in the wash as it were.

I do hope my reply has been of some assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.