How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Had a cheque PPI .As a non taxpayer am I due a

This answer was rated:

Had a cheque for missold PPI .As a non taxpayer am I due a refund.After waiting for 45 mins on phone to tax office just gave up
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise
if the payment to you included a supplemet for interest
also was any tax deducted?

many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Refund due in joint names 2146.77

Gross 8% per annum interest on refund 2527.47

Less basic tax to be withheld on 8% 505.49

Net refund due 4168.75

Thank you for your reply and for additional information.

If the compensation includes -

simple interest at a rate of 8% per annum which is to compensate the customer for being deprived of the money they had paid to the firm for the PPI.

This interest is taxable at source as explained in HMRC manual Ref SAIM2015 here

You have stated that you are a non taxpayer. If you think you are entitled to a repayment , you should complete Form R40 - Claim for repayment of tax deducted from savings and investments.

You can download the form from HMRC website here

More information on this can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.