How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17218
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have an Isle of Man company with a bank account in UK. I

Customer Question

I have an Isle of Man company with a bank account in UK. I invoice for UK personnel working abroad. Does the new law regarding intermediary agents apply to my company?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts.
Could you expand on your question, is this in relation to VAT or Corporation tax.
Are you based in the UK yourself, what work do the UK personnel undertake - are they in fact employees?
What legislation to you refer to ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Sam,

This is to do with the new law regarding intermediary agents. Are you familiar with it?

My company invoices on behalf of UK personnel working in the oil & gas industry, who do not have their own limited companies. Their work is outside the UK

I live in the UK but travel abroad a lot. I can run the business from a laptop anywhere I may be.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
No - as you have not indicated whether VAT or Income Tax or Corporation tax, and the legislation is relation to intermediary companies affects ac cross all the regimes of UK tax.
And it would seem to be if this is taxes, then you they in breach of IR35 or you in employment legislation and these individuals should be employed by you and as working outside of the Uk may be in a position to deemed free of UK tax due to their residency position
So you response gives information regarding your staff - and then mentions you own position - and its irrelevant where you could choose to be - its where you actually are (the facts) that matter
But you still have not indicated to what you are referring and some additional information is necessary to provide a relevant and expert answer.
So please expand
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Sam,

Several things have made me think that this has been a complete waste of time and money.

You obviously have no knowledge of the new laws regarding intermediary companies.

Your grammar and spelling are not up to scratch so I suspect you are not British - so how can you be an expert on British tax?

I am no further forward so I will be seeking to have my money returned.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
There are no new laws and you fail to tell me what regime of taxes you need assistance with leaving me to guess - as I'm not psychic!
I am British I live in Kent (South of England) but agree that my grammar was not acceptable on my last response for which I do apologise.
I have vast knowledge in ALL regime of taxes but am not prepared to write a long worded essay covering all aspects of tax with intermediaries - as I have already advised (on each occasion) My questions are not trick questions - but as you fail to answer my questions as to where you seek help and just keep repeating that its new legislation - what more do you really expect - communication is a two way process which I am sure you can appreciate !
I shall opt out and let another expert try and assist you,
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Just from what you have stated in the above posts, yes, the law does apply to you.
If you only introduce workers to clients or supply workers to other intermediaries, and you aren’t involved in any further arrangements , you would not need to send HMRC reports.
You do appear to be required to provide the worker’s details and payment details for workers where you don’t operate PAYE.
It is complicated when the processes change.