How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

We bought a 2 bed cottage in 1986 mother In law to live

This answer was rated:

We bought a 2 bed cottage in 1986 for my mother In law to live in. She, unfortunately, now has to live in residential/nursing care home. Our daughter rents a property and we wish to give her the cottage to live in. Do we need to pay capital gains tax or any other tax?

Can you tell me when your mother in law will leave the property or when she did if that has already happened please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She went into hospital in March 2013


Provided the criteria for dependent relative relief as set out here were met as at 5 April 1988, then exemption from Capital Gains Tax using principle private residence relief can be claimed for the period from the date of purchase in 1986 to March 2013. The gain for the last 18 months of ownership will also qualify for princilpe private residence relief. There may be a small proportion of the gain which is not exempt depending when the gift to your daughter occurs as that is treated as a disposal for Capital Gains Tax purposes. The gain is treated as having accrued evenly over the entire period of purchase.

Take a look at HS283 for more information on the main home and CGT. There is a section on dependent relative relief.

The gift will also be a potentially exempt transfer for Inheritance Tax purposes. Should either of you die within seven years of making your respective shares of the gift, its value will be included in your estate for Inheritance Tax purposes. Take a look here for information on Inheritance Tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you