How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have just been elected a District Councillor and receiving

This answer was rated:

I have just been elected a District Councillor and receiving a personal allowance of £5100 pa plus an IT allowance of £340pa. I have just received my first pay details and find that I has been taxed at basic 20%. Is the allowance and IT allowance taxable? I believed allowances were free of tax? Thank you.

The basic allowance paid to councillors is taxable. As you will see here, the government announced a tax exemption for travel costs reimbursed to councillors travelling to council meetings. A regular employer is taxed on a reimbursement to them by their employer of travel costs for home to work and work to home travel.

As far as the basic allowance is concerned, if you spend any of that money on council business such as using a room at home for council work or paying a secretary or hiring a hall to run surgeries for constituents to give a few examples, then tax relief for those costs can be claimed via a self-assessment tax return at the end of the tax year.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you