How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am 81 yrs old. I pay tax on my income. My wife is 82 years

Customer Question

I am 81 yrs old. I pay tax on my income. My wife is 82 years old and she does not have any income other than her old age allowance. Is it true that her tax allowance figure can be transferred so that I get the allowance on my taxation assessment.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Well, yes and no, she can transfer GBP 1060 of her unused personal allowance to you. Remember State Pensions are taxable and paid gross so there may not be sufficient slack to achieve this. You can read all about how to do this here:
Don't hold your breath though, it takes ages, my wife applied weeks ago! I do hope that I have helped you with your query.