How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I had an accident in July 2014 and I was off work months,

Customer Question

I had an accident in July 2014 and I was off work for 6 months, why have not received a tax refund for this period.
Mr Michael Stott
Nat no YP 58 11 06 C
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Assuming you aren't self-employed, by the end of September following the end of the tax year, you should receive a P800 tax calculation which will tell you whether you are underpaid or overpaid. Take a look here for the notes on this:
The only way you can hurry this process along is to contact HMRC on the phone I'm afraid. There is no other way other than writing and I wouldn't advise that over a phone call. The hours of opening are here:
The best time to call is at 8am as soon as the phone lines are open. Saturdays can be a good time to call as well.
I recently advised a friend how to do this and they had to wait 20 minutes before they got to speak to a tax office call centre person but they got their P800 and tax repayment in four weeks so if you wait to get through, the system does work.
When you get your P800, make sure you check the figures for accuracy against your P60.
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.