How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4957
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm am trying to claim late, father, w

This answer was rated:

I'm am trying to claim for my late, father, who died 22nd November 2014 and the inquest proved he had got Pneumoconiosis, Massive Progressive Fibrousis and emphasemia. Ive gone through NABARRO Claims Solutions and they can not find records on my father from 1941 to 1951 yet I know he was on the coal face in 1945 and an old friend, now aged 86, said he was at the pit in 1943 for sure when he him self commenced straight after school. My father was part of the Essentcial Works order. I can not claim a penny according to NABARRO. Can you advice where I go from here? I have got two Tax credits (only one with number intact) which he received, and kept, from 1943 to 1944 and 1944 to 1945 in my father's archive. He did not cash them in you see. We are very upset about all this as you will appreciate. Can you advice me please? Susan XXXXXXXXx

Hello Susan, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. Your father would have been, like mine, he worked for the BBC, a Reserved Occupation in WW2. Remember some National Servicemen (notably Eric Morecombe) were sent down the pits, known as Bevin Boys (one in ten if I recall)

I presume that you are referring to the wartime with holding of some of the earned income [Post War Credits] to assist in the war effort, a form of compulsory savings. They were, if I recall, redeemed by 1973; I remember my Mother speaking of them. I suggest that you firstly approach HMRC in this matter, although there activities will be limited as their files will certainly not go back that far and furthermore any claim would be barred unger the Limitation Acts. But soft, those Acts allow tax claims to be made by HMRC indefinitely so conversely so should the redemption of tax credits be available. Quite frankly though, I am astonished that they were not paid off long since. You could try applying to HMRC for recovery if you have the documentary evidence. This is Money web site advises that if the certificates are not stamped cancelled then they can still be redeemed. The procedure is as follows:

'To request a claim form or repayment, contact Revenue & Customs at HM Inspector of Taxes, PWC Centre V, Llanishen, Cardiff CF14 5YA. Call 02920 325770.

Alternatively, there are collectors who might wish to buy the certificates, or you can hold them as part of your family history.'

The matter of a claim for medical conditions is a matter for a solicitor. However, the NUM are very hot on this and have their own legal advisers who can assist. I am a mere accoutant and unsure on whether such claims die with the victim.

I do hope that I have been of somce assistance to you in this sad time.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for information on the Post War Credits. I do not wish to redeem them...I need to know if their source can be traced so I can prove my dad worked down on the coal face in 1944/45 he would be 18 then but I was told he probably would go down in the term of his 18th birthday. He birthday was 8th April 1927...too young to be a Bevan Boy so! Dad worked camoflaging the coaking plants at first under Simon Cave of Mansfield. He would have been contracted out by the government I suppose? Still breathing the coal dust in on top of the buildings. He was at Manvers one & two (Corton Wood ring a bell re 1984/85 strike!? I will guess he went on the coal face in January 1945? I've worked on this through the NUM already but I will try again. Chances are there are no records surviving any way!? I did wonder about contacting Department of works to see if they can trace back but that maybe a tall order? I'm not sure a solicitor would be interested? Dad did try to claim in 2006 to 2009 but he'd no proof he'd got any of the deceases you see and at first said he had never worked at the pit when he had worked in the industry from April 1941 to sometime in 1957?. It took his death at age 87+ to confirm he had got those illness caused by being at the pits. I thought too of trying the National Archives but I guess NABARRO have done that already and they can only go back to August 1951. I think it is terrible we can not get evidence Keith. Susan

I am sure that your best bet is the NUM.

I am so sorry I cannot be more helpful. Presumably the certificates do not indicate the employment source and, of course, in those days the pits were private enterprises; more complications.

Thank you for your support.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you