How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17157
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

How do I claim back tax my uniform supplied

Customer Question

How do I claim back tax for laundering my uniform supplied by my employer, De-La-Rue,from
August 2003.....until....June 2014. What would the sum involved be? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Most people can claim back within the past four years, so back to 2011 - plus the current year - if you've been wearing the uniform all that time. So a basic rate taxpayer, claiming the standard uniform allowance for 2011-2015, could reclaim £60 in total.
Some occupations have more specific limits, often to do with specialist uniforms, with the maximum allowance of £140. A higher rate taxpayer would get back £56 tax on that for each year they claim. Check the full list of occupations to see if yours is listed.
You may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:
buying, repairing or replacing small tools you need to do your job, eg scissors or an electric drill
cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing, eg a uniform or safety boots
You may be able to claim a standard annual amount of £60 in tax relief if your occupation is not on the list.
You don’t need to keep records of what you’ve paid for if you claim a flat rate deduction.
If you don’t already fill in a Self Assessment tax return, and your allowable expenses are under £2,500 for the tax year, fill in form P87 and send it to the address on the form.
The above is the url for completing the form.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Wanted to touch base with you and make sure all worked out.
Were you able to access the url I provided?