How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5145
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a South African citizen, now living in the UK on a spousal

This answer was rated:

I am a South African citizen, now living in the UK on a spousal visa and intend to stay here.
I have started working at Tesco again in February (below taxable income) and in May received a promotion which is now a taxable income.
I also receive income in South Africa, for which they tax me there. My small investment income in the UK is also being taxed in South Africa.
Seeing I started working in the UK:
a) when do I register for paying tax in the UK?
b) how do I register?
c) do I declare only the UK salary I earn or salary and investment?
d) will I be taxed twice? Or how will it work?

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You need to register with HMRC if you wish to complete a Self Assessment tax return for the first time. This helps to make sure you pay the right amount of tax and National Insurance at the right time. HMRC will issue you with a Unique Taxpayer Reference number (UTR). It is made up of ten numbers, e.g. 12345 67890, and you quote this reference for all future dealings with HMRC.

This link is for you to check if you need to fill in a self assessment tax return.

You need to answer these questions -

1 What was your work status in the tax year you're checking?

2 Was your income over £100,000 in that tax year?

3 If you or your partner claimed Child Benefit, did either of you have income above £50,000?

4 Did you have income from UK property or land?

5 Did you have any other income you need to report?

Based on your answers you would know if you have to fill in a Self Assessment tax return.

As you have income from abroad and also investment incomeyou would be expected to fill in a self assessment tax return.

There would also be a link for you to register for self assessment and other relevant information here.

Now, answers to questions raised by you

Seeing I started working in the UK:


when do I register for paying tax in the UK?


You register for self assessment in order to file a tax return. Your salary will be taxed at source by way of a tax code.

how do I register?

I have explained the process above


do I declare only the UK salary I earn or salary and investment?

As UK resident, you are normally taxed on worldwide income and gains. If you suffer any foreign tax on income/gains abroad, then you claim foreign tax credit relief against that tax suffered. There are special rules for UK residents who are not UK domicile and this is covered on page 23 of RDR1(remittance basis)


will I be taxed twice? Or how will it work?


You are taxed once. Under DTA between UK and other countries, you are not taxed twice on income arising from the same source.

More information on this can be found on Page 9 of HMRC guidance book RDR1 here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a) Can I access this info at any time next week?
b)Can I pay/register my salary and investment here and pay the tax in South Africa for my income there?
c) SA's tax year is February to February and they normally do my tax there in September. What is your best advice? Where to pay what and when?
d)I think I need to only pay UK tax for 2015-2016. Is that correct?
e) So do I register now or later?
David, thank you for your reply.

You can access this information even after the question is closed. You just have to go to the question and pick up all the threads.

You can opt for foreign income/gains to be taxed on remittance basis. If you are UK resident but not domiciled in the UK there are special rules which might apply to your foreign income and gains. In these circumstances you have a choice of whether to use the arising basis of taxation or the ‘remittance basis’ of taxation. If you choose to use the remittance basis for a tax year you will pay UK tax on:

- any of your income and gains which arise/accrue in the UK; and

- any of your foreign income and gains that you, or another relevant person, brings (or ‘remits’) to the UK, even if that remittance occurs in a later tax year.

[Page 9 of RDR1]

As far as tax on income in SA is concerned, it would be taxed there. You would declare that income and tax paid on your tax return here (tax year 6/4 to following 5/4) and claim relief for foreign tax paid if you wish to be taxed on worldwide income. You may wish to consider tax on remittance basis and it is covered on page 9 of HMRC guidance RDR1.

You would be UK resident for tax year 2015-16 and pay UK tax for this year.

If you are registering, you should do it now and it is all over then.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again. The last 2 e mails do not take me to the answer site, only the first one.

I am pleased you are able to go back to the answer site.

best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I have tried to register for self assessment. The form came back.

There is no place, that I could find, to indicate that I am employed and not self employed or earn a salary.

David, thank you for your reply.

Once you are on this page Register for Self Assessment and the link is here

within the Overview section look at “you need to send a return for any other reason”. Clink on this link and it will take you to this page

Click on “Fill in form SA1”

I suggest you tick the box

I am getting taxable foreign income of £300 or more

I hope this helps.