How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17124
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I worked as a cycle courier years 2012 - 2014

This answer was rated:

Hi, I worked as a cycle courier for several years 2012 - 2014 and registered as a sole trader
I completed a tax return on line each year and have do so since. however this year I started work as an employee in a bike shop, and put status as employee with the bike shop name on the 2014/2015 tax return, and thought this would change my status over, but I and still receiving and paying NI. I believe my tax is in order, should I tell HMRC I have just stopped being a sole trader and complete a tax return this year as usual ?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Yes you need to report that your self employment has ended.
You use the online form to do this.
If you have already filed your final return for the self employment then
HMRC should be able to finalize your information for that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks I'm just concerned about the date I should quote as

not being a sole trader as I have not worked as a courier/sole trader since start of 2014

Just enter the actual date you stopped. Whatever that actual date was.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** online HMRC system will not allow a date earlier than 7 days before the date of ceasing sole trader status. Yesterday I went online and said I just finished being a sole trader. I will do another tax return for this year showing all earnings so I hope all will be ok as I have always shown all earnings.

If you have always declared your income then you should not have a problem.
I am sorry that the online form would not allow you to enter your true date.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, As an expert I thought you may know which dates can be allowed on the HMRC system ? Smile anyway probably all cool.

I missed that. That is all I can give as a explanation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok Many thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok Many Thanks

You are most welcome
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Wanted to touch base with you and make sure all worked out.