How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17624
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

There. I'm a homeowner of a property that I currently rent

This answer was rated:

hi there. I'm a homeowner of a property that I currently rent rooms out in, all declared and above board. My partner is going to move in with me soon and he will be contributing to the mortgage (in my sole name) whilst we continue to have at least one lodger. Can you let me know if I will need to pay tax on my partners contribution to my mortgage? Obviously I want to avoid this and am trying to decide whether to get a new joint mortgage. At the moment we are not married although we plan to get married in early 2016 and would bring this forward if it changes the tax situation.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are receiving means-tested benefits, your partner’s earnings and savings will be added to yours when they work out if you are entitled to benefit, and how much.
If you are sharing the home as a couple, then he is simply sharing the bills that you jointly incur. That is not the same as if you were letting a room to him.
If he is not a lodger then you are not taxed on his portion of the expenses. Even if the home is only in your name.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you