How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I boughta buy-to let propery and used £35k on my own money

This answer was rated:

I boughta buy-to let propery and used £35k on my own money as a down payment.
With rising property prices I want to increase the mortgage to release the £35k to either reinvest or pay down debt. WHat is the tax position

If you borrow against the property, there is no tax to pay on the borrowing itself. Any income it produces will be taxable however.

You should be able to claim the interest on the new borrowing against the rental income as well as that on the original borrowing as you are simply withdrawing your original investment in the property business by way of a mortgage. Take a look at the example under the heading "Withdrawing Capital" here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you