How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My non immediate family, who have no connection to the UK,

This answer was rated:

My non immediate family, who have no connection to the UK, want to gift me a property abroad. They are organising all the tax affairs for that country. The property is worth around $90k. I am based in the UK - are there any tax implications of this gift.
There will also be ongoing income as the property will be let out. There is no double tax treaty with that country. What are the tax implications for any revenue?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

There should be no tax implications for the recipient of this gift as there is no tax on gifts in the UK. You receive the gifts free of tax.

As far as rental income goes, you being the new owner of the property would have to declare the profit from property income on your tax return by completing supplementary pages SA106 - Foreign and this income would be chargeable to UK income tax.
if you suffer any tax on this rental income abroad, then you would claim foreign tax credit relief against tax suffered in that country.

More information on this can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes