How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

How do you show locum income on a self-assessment tax

Customer Question

How do you show locum income on a self-assessment tax return? Is it shown as 'other income' or self-employment income?
Could also please let me know if medical insurance paid by the business should be disclosed on the self-assessment tax return as well as the P11D?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Locum income, if on recurring basis, should be shown as self employment income.
If it is a one off income then you could consider reporting it as other taxable income not included on supplementary pages.

Medical insurance paid for by the employer is disclosed on P11D issued by the employer. This should be reported as benefits from your employment when completing your self assessment tax return within Employment section.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.