How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

A friend's son has done some work company - 8 days

This answer was rated:

Hi, A friend's son has done some work for our company - 8 days - £1000 for which he gave us an invoice. Asked for UTR No and been told he doesn't have one but gave his NI No. My feeling is that either we should pay the tax and ni or deduct it, but then it means becoming involved with RTI. I am a member of "the old days". What is the current rule?

What business is your company in and what did your friend's son do in the 8 days he worked for you exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Installation of security systems (outside the scope of CIS). General labouring and assistance on site


The detailed rules for CIS are in CIS340 here.

If the bulk of your work is not covered by CIS, then I'd pay the feee gross even though there may have been a little labouring. See paragraph 2.11 of CIS340. You might also be covered by paragraph 2.19. See paragraph 2.6 for a defintion of a "deemed contractor".

I'd certainly keep a note of your friend's son's name, address and NI number in case of any query from HMRC.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you