How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am retired, have pensions and do some teaching supply.

This answer was rated:

Hi I am retired, have pensions and do some teaching supply. I pay tax on all these incomes. This last year Ending April 14 I earned £590 in other ventures. I assume I have to pay 20% tax on that so owe £118 in tax. Can I just send a cheque for this and if so who do I make it out to, or do I have to fill in a form?
Thanks in advance. Jim

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

My advice to you would be to register for self assessment tax return if you are likely to earn money from other ventures on recurring basis.

Also you have income from pensions and some teaching supply. You want to make sure you have correct tax coding etc.

If you are already registered for self assessment and have a UTR number (unique tax reference number) then just file a tax return.

Otherwise, you can register for self assessment and get a UTR number here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. When do self assessment forms for 2014 have to be in?

Jim, thanks for your reply.

Deadline for Tax returns for tax year ended 5 Apr 2015 -

Paper returns no later than 31 Oct 2015
Online filing no later than 31 Jan 2016...

Tax return for year ended 5 apr 2014 - deadlines have past.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.