How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have work years on a site location to carry out a

Customer Question

I have work for two years on a site location to carry out a project, up to now I have been allowed to claim 45p per mile to use my car to get to the site. This project is now completing, may company have told me our next project is 36 miles further away, but I can only claim 20p per mile, but only using this site address as my permanent place of work. This site is to close and be returned to the farmer from whom it was leased. This sounds wrong
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and happy to assist you with your question. You can claim 45p per mile on your self assessment tax return for the first 10000 miles then the rate drops to 25p. What your company is telling you if this is how you operate is an irrelevance. However, if they are paying you 45p per mile and drop it to 20p then the balance of 25p per milr can be claimed on your self assessment return. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My tax is PAYE, what my firm have done is to institute an additional travel allowance of a fixed amount spread over twelve months, so I think they have scotched any chance of claiming anything from the tax man. My main gripe is them insisting that a site office that will cease to exist in three months is my permanent place of work

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Not quite! Say they pay you 35p per mile then you can still claim the balance up to 45P through the medium of your self assessment tax return. I appreciate that if you are on PAYE HMRC may not require you to complete one annually, but if you do have a mileage claim you can ask your tax office to send you a self assessment form. Their calculation base is beyond my abilities to assist, although on the face of it it seems a trifle strange. If this results in your actual claimable mileage from them being reduced you can adjust and claim for the 'missing ' mileage through your return. When one door closes another opens as they say!
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
I have another reminder from you, do you have another follow up message?