How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Can you let me know where I need to put figures

This answer was rated:

Can you let me know where I need to put figures for purchasing property on tax return for period 2012/13 - purchase property in Feb 2013, rented one month in March 2013. Tax office advised to complete tac return for the year.
You don't need to tell HMRC that you have bought a property but you do need to disclose any rental income from it. The rental income goes into the SA105 property pages which you can find here:
If you wish you can tell HMRC when you bought the property by putting a note in box 19 on page TR7 of the core SA100 tax return here:
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you but I just need to know where I can put the following items on the form - fridge, freezer, cooker, curtain poles, curtains. Can I also put on the return gas safety check and my deposit protection certificates?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do put the above items on the online self assessment form, if any?
Is the property let on a fully furnished or unfurnished basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfurnished basis with a few items supplied as above.
You can claim for the gas safety check and deposit protection certificates. I usually put them in box 27 but some put them in box 29.
You cannot claim for the other items as they are first time purchases. Prior to 2013/14, you could claim for the replacement of the types of items you mentioned but that appears to have stopped with effect from 6 April 2013.
The accountancy/tax profession has complained about the lack of clarity for those with unfurnished lettings who don't have the choice of claiming a wear and tear allowance (instead of renewals) as those with fully furnished property lets do. So, it appears at the moment at least that the cost of replacements will not be deductible either from 6 April 2013.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I know what to include and where I can finish the tax return!
I don't follow your last comment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help with this - I can now go ahead and complete!
OK. Thanks and good luck.