How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have been working abroad past 9 years and am

This answer was rated:

Hello I have been working abroad for the past 9 years and am tax exempt in the UK. I recently received PPI refund via a company specialising in this service, however a large sum of money was paid to the tax man on my behalf by this company and also on a recent insurance pay out after 10 years, the company paid the tax man, am I able to reclaim this money or not
Yes, indeed you can One small point before I start; did you submit a Form P85 to the Inland Revenue as it was then when you left these shores? If you did not I suggest that you do so immediately. There is no time limit as to its submission and the form is available from the web and can be filed on line. On receipt you will be classified as non resident. What you have to do now is contact the nearest tax office and ask for a Form to enable you to claim the tax deducted by various organisations. Assuming that the payments do not aggregate to 10.6K [personal allowance available to all EEA citizens] then you should get the whole lot back. Have a look here for basic information regarding contacting HMRC. HMRC was formed some years ago with an amalgamation of HM Customs and Excise and the Inland Revenue: I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your little problem.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that helps me immensely, very good service, I will definitely use you again
Thank you for your excellent support and your kind remarks.
Please ask forCustomerif you want me to respond next time..