How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Can I buy my sons house (290k) and sell it back to

This answer was rated:

Can I buy my sons house (290k) for cah and sell it back to him for £1. And what are the tax implications

I'm not aware of any legal reason why you cannot do that but if there is a mortgage on the property, the lender will have a view on it but as long as they are paid off, I cannot see it being a problem for them. However, I'm not a lawyer so the legality would best be taken up with a property solicitor.

As you are connected to your son for tax purposes, if you buy his house the transaction will be deemed to have taken place at the open market value and, unless the house has been his main home for the whole period of ownership and a maximum of the last 18 months of ownership if he hasn't been living there, he should have no Capital Gains Tax to pay.

If you sell the property back to your son for £1, again the transaction will be deemed to have taken place at the open market value but, given the short space of time between the transactions, there will probably be no CGT issue for you. You will also have made a potentially exempt transfer to your son of the difference between the open market value and £1 and that gift (£289,000?) will form part of your estate should you die within seven years of making it.

There may also be stamp duty implications. Take a look here and here for information on stamp duty.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you