How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have recently started a full time job on minimum wage. I

This answer was rated:

I have recently started a full time job on minimum wage. I am in receipt of a Civil Service Pension as I was made redundant in October 2014. My tax code at the moment is emergency tax - BR - I understand this is due me taking my pension early. I have contacted both MCSP and my new employer - they have asked me to talk to yourselves. I have tried to ring the last two days and have not been able to talk to anyone.. My CSP have informed me that my tax code should be 1060L and explained I may be on emergency tax at 20% as my pension my not be informed and therefore is being classed as having two jobs which I don't have ? Please can you clarify this for me and explain why I have been put on emergency tax. Earning minimum wage is low enough without being heavily taxed.
Thank you for your help.
Jackie Macarthy
NI NO YZ860851C
Date of birth
Post code S80 1NA

This site has no connection with HM Revenue & Customs. I may be able to answer your question but before I do would you please confirm that you wish me to go ahead. Alternatively, you can have a refund of your deposit.

If you wish me to go ahead, please tell me how much your Civil Service pension is before tax annually. What tax code is being used against your pension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My pension is £10,289 ..£960.58 received monthly code for this year is 1060 L .




Leave ths with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay ..I await your reply ..Thank you


You say your pension is £10,289. However, you receive £960.58 monthly which adds up to £11,527. Can you clarify please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry that will be the correct amount 11,527 ..

Thanks for the clarification.

If you have a tax code of 1060L on your pension, that is correct and you will be paying about £15.45 per month in tax on that source of income.

The BR (Basic Rate) code on your wages is also correct. You will be paying tax at 20% on that income. A BR code is not an emergency code in your case. You only get one personal allowance of £10,600 in any one tax year and that is being used against your pension.

If you don't have a tax code of 1060L being used against your pension, call the tax office on the number here and ask them to review your pension and job tax codes while you on the phone. They will amend both tax codes if necessary but from what you have told me, I think everything is as it should be.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hi again.

It's been a few days since I answered your question. Is there anything you need further clarification on?