How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have been paying £1050 per calendar month years for

This answer was rated:

I have been paying £1050 per calendar month for 5 years for my mortgage even though I don't live there, due to splitting up from my wife although we Have just divorced.
Am I allowed to claim tax back ?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Tax relief on mortgage interest is available if the loan is used to fund a property that is let and earning income. Loan interest on mortgage pertaining to private residence whether you live in it, is occupied by other members of the family or it is empty does not qualify for tax relief, I'm afaid.

I am sorry to relay this news as you may be expecting a favourable response.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. Please only rate my answer if it is acceptable. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you