How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I need to Wire some money from overseas into the UK in

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need to Wire some money from overseas into the UK in order to purchase a flat in the UK. The sum is about £95,000 GBP. I was planning to wire it into my personal UK bank account and then pay for the property.
Can I simply wire this sum, or are there any issues with doing so?
Tax has already been payed on it within the overseas country that it will be coming from.

Are you UK domiciled or non-UK domiciled, ie a foreign national? If the latter, how long have you lived in the UK? Do you pay tax in the UK on your worldwide income or just on your UK source income?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I'm non-UK domiciled, I have a UK passport, UK citizen, but have been officially living overseas for the last 5 years. So have not been a tax payer in the UK for that length of time. I pay taxes accordingly in Barbados where I reside.


You will almost certainly be non-UK resident but if you were born in the UK and have British parents, you are UK domiciled.

Apart from it being a good idea to warn your UK bank in advance of the deposit with them of £95,000 to avoid delays in accessing your money due to money laundering procedures, there is no need to do anything else. You won't need to report the deposit to HMRC or pay any UK tax on it.

If your intention is to let the flat, then you may need to complete an annual self-assessment tax return and register with HMRC under the non-resident landlord scheme. You can read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you