How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

If my elderly mother is living with me and wants to pay for

Customer Question

If my elderly mother is living with me and wants to pay for her board and lodge, will I be taxed on the money I receive from her? And if this is tax free how much is the maximum I can charge for board and lodge? I currently pay tax at standard rate on my teachers pension.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.


If I were you, I'd structure any verbal or written agreement in such a way as to show that your mother is simply contributing to the cost of the running of the household to ensure that any cash exchanged has no tax implications for you. Many people have elderly parents living with them and arrange things in the way I've just described. It's certainly the way I'd do it.

You could if you wished use the rent a room scheme which allows you to let a room in your home and receive up to £4,250 per annum tax free. Anything you receive over and above that would be taxable. Alternatively, you disclose all the rent and claim a proportion of household expenses against it. Take a look here for more information on the rent a room scheme and here for information on the types of expenses you can claim.

There is no maximum amount you can charge any tenant. That's simply down to market forces in your area. As I said at the start, in order to avoid having any need to get involved with the tax office, you should come to an agreement with your mother over a level of contribution towards the household expenses.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.