How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I live and work full-time in the US, but my wife

This answer was rated:

I live and work full-time in the US, but my wife and daughter live here. My wife has two jobs here, but I send everything I can back to them for child and spouse support, which probably amounts to about 16,000 pounds annually. I have no income in the UK and have not since moving back to the US three years ago. I do visit them four times a year though, and, being a university professor, I am able to spend a little over three months per year with them here. After checking with HMRC again on this last year to be sure, I did not have to pay any additional tax here on the money I send back to them.
Two changes might change that tax situation here that I would like advice about. First of all, I have a small pension from a previous job here that would be about 400 pounds per month, which I would like to draw on a couple of years early and have deposited in my wife's current account here to help her pay the mortgage on our house. I am concerned, however, that I will then have to file a tax return here, in a situation where this year I have a unique windfall of income that will total at least $100,000.
So, my question is, do you think it advisable from a tax perspective to begin to draw on that pension now, i.e. is it likely that I would then have to pay some additional tax on that windfall income, even though I am being careful to save it separately in the US and not spend any of it on my family here? I continue to send them money from my salary in the US and my checking account only? Please advise me on what you would do in my situation.
Paul T.

Can you let me know the nature of the $100,000 windfall and where that will arise please. What job did you do that has given you a pension of £400 per month.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The windfall is from my personal share of income into a family limited partnership in my own family in the US; the source is the sale of coal on property belonging to the family.

My previous job was as a lecturer at a university in the UK and is with the University Superannuation Scheme.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** forward to receiving it.

Hi again.

I cannot see you having any problems so long as you maintain your non-UK tax residence status. Take a look here for information on the statutory residence scheme:

As you are currently non-UK resident, you are only normally taxable in the UK on UK source income. As your USC pension is not a government service pension which would have made it taxable in the UK if it was, it will be taxable on you in the US, not the UK. Take a look here for a list of government/non government service pensions:

The windfall monies will not be taxable in the UK as they aren't from a UK source and you are non-UK resident for tax purposes.

The fact that you send money to your family in the UK does not make it taxable in the UK or you tax resident in the UK. Many people work abroad, some in dangerous places, they leave their families behind in the UK and send money home to pay the household bills etc. That doesn't cause tax problems.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you