How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am no longer working and I am not old enough to get a

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am no longer working and I am not old enough to get a pension. I have dual nationality and can get money from the selling of properties abroad. How much am I allowed to bring in the UK before paying tax? I am a UK resident

If you make capital gains from selling investment property or other assets such as shares, you can make gains in any one tax year tax free of £11,100. Depending on your domicile, you may not have to pay tax on income and gains you don't bring into the UK.

There are two rates of CGT, 18% and 28%. The rate or combination of rates that you will pay will be dependent on the level of your income in the tax year that the gains are made. Take a look here for information on how to work out the rate of CGT or combination thereof you will pay.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you