How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been offered a self employed position one day a week

This answer was rated:

I have been offered a self employed position one day a week doing occupational therapy. I already have a full time job so i cant do more than one day will i pay tax and national insurance, I will be paid up to £250.00 for the day.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Yes you will pay tax (as income is added together for tax purposes, and then the first £10,600 is tax free - which is being utilised against your paid employment)
And for National Insurance you will pay Class 2 (if your self employment is more than £5965 a year which it will be) and this is £2.80 a week and is due even though you pay National Insurance through employment (but if you earn more than £42385 in employment then you can be exempted from the Class 2) and then there is also Class 4 National Insurance which is due on self employment income in excess of £8060 at 9% - which again this self employment will be)
Class 2 you pay quarterly or you can pay monthly direct debit.
Class 4 is paid at the same as tax -
You should register for self employment - link here for this
You will then complete a tax returns after each 5th April - and declare ALL income and then any additional tax and National Insurance (Class 4) is paid the following 31st Jan
So if you first tax return completed is for the period ending 05/04/2016 then you will pay anything owed by 31st Jan 2017
Let me know if you need any further assistance.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you