How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

International & Local Taxes.(special case)

This answer was rated:

I am asking for advice on the basis on my mother who has just had a divorce (Which was filed last year) and has just finalised a month ago. She was rewarded 4 properties and a lump sum amount of cash. She is a UK citizen, and has been living in the UK only during the duration of her divorce proceedings. She has living her entire life abroad and has never worked a day in her life and has never had any bank accounts until now. She has no pensions either, apart of the rental incomes of these properties which will become her retirement funds/pensions. But she doesn't wish to live in the UK, she wants to live in Dubai. How will this decision effect her status of how she pays her taxes, what tax group she will fall under, what implemented international taxes she would have to pay on the properties, and on any cash transferred overseas from these rented 4 properties for her living costs abroad? -Tanya

Hi Tanya
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
The award of the properties and cash will have no bearing due to the fact these were received as a result of divorce settlement bu the income (rents) from these properties will be liable to UK tax as the income arises in the UK
Your mother should arrange for an application for the Non resident scheme which will allow her to receive the rents gross (without deduction of tax) and then any tax due will be established with the annual completion of the self assessment tax return.
Link here for the Non Residents landlord scheme
and also a link to register for self assessment is within that same section of tax information.
She should also check with UAE in case there is any requirements within their tax regime (we are just UK tax experts) for bringing this money into their country - however as she will have suffered UK tax - should there be a requirement to declare this income, then the tax suffered also cane be taken into accounts - so tax is NOT paid twice on the same income.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you