How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have not been self employed since 2012 and during all this

This answer was rated:

I have not been self employed since 2012 and during all this time I have been paying page tax however I am still receiving self assessment demands and getting charge penalties I am at my wits end as i have contacted the department to no avail please help me
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you have received a notice to file a tax return, then you must file one albeit it is a nil return. Failure to do that would result in a fixed penalty fine.

My recommendation to you is that you should file the last tax return you received and also file ones for previous years.

At the same time, advise HMRC that you are no longer self employed and request them to update your records and not send you a notice to file a tax return in future.

You usually won’t need to send a return if your only income is from your wages or pension.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

More information on this can be found here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will I still have to pay the penalties that have accrued

Christopher, thank you for your reply.

You have to demonstrate a credible reason as to why HMRC should reconsider the penalty and waive it. You should appeal against the penalty by using Form SA370.

You never know, they may decide to waive the penalty if you have a reasonable excuse.

Otherwise, the penalty would stand and you would have to pay it, I'm afraid.

Here is a link to it and accompanying notes.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.