How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17642
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Our London flat has appreciated substantially. I am not a resident

This answer was rated:

Our London flat has appreciated substantially. I am not a resident of the UK but my wife is. Our flat is jointly owned. I would like to transfer my share to my wife. Do we need to pay capital gains tax? Thank you.
The transfer to your spouse would not have a tax filing requirement but a sale would if this is not the primary residence. Primary residence relief may be used to avoid tax on the appreciation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is my wife's primary residence. It is not my primary residence. Is there a difference between transfer and sale? Thank you.
The transfer to your spouse is not going to be taxable. I mentioned sale to say if your spouse later sold but as it is their primary they would not be taxed. No tax for them to sale or to receive the half you own. You would not be taxed on transfer to them either.
TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How does my wife establish that our home is her primary residence?