How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I'm registered with HMRC as an overseas landlord (living and

This answer was rated:

I'm registered with HMRC as an overseas landlord (living and working in the South of Ireland since 2008) and submit self assessment returns each year. I'm due to receive an occupational DB pension next month paid into a UK bank. I know tax will be payable on the monthly pension, but will the lump sum - approximately £70K - still remain tax free?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

When you can start drawing benefits from your pension scheme, you may be able to take part or all of your pension benefits as a tax-free cash lump sum (called the pension commencement lump sum (PCLS)). If you’re a member of a defined benefit pension scheme, the scheme’s rules will determine how much you can receive as a PCLS. If you’re a member of a defined contribution (DC) pension scheme, you will normally have the option to take up to 25% of the value of your pension pot as a PCLS.

Either way, the lump sum cash payment would be tax free.

More information on defined benefit schemes can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What you have stated was already known. The focus of the question was whether the lump sum would still be tax free due to me no longer living in the UK but having the lump sum paid into a UK bank account. I am registered with HMRC and pay tax on profit from rental income from property
Steve, thank you for your reply.

Under UK tax regulations, the lump sum would be tax free. You do not have to be living in the UK to avail it.

You would have to check with Tax authorities in Ireland to to ascertain whether they regard lump sum payments tax free or you have to declare it on your tax return when filing the return in Ireland.. My guess is, that it would be regarded as tax free in Ireland too.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes