How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My husband and I are separated, however, he was diagnosed with

Customer Question

My husband and I are separated, however, he was diagnosed with dementia in 2013 which caused him to forget about his 2014 tax return. HMRC wrote to him in June this year fining him £100 and I then looked through his files and found the tax return. I phoned them to explain the situation and posted the completed form and a letter of explanation on 13 June 2015. Today he has had a daily penalty reminder for £600. What should I do about it? He is nearly 80 (in September) and has only lived on pensions for years so I dont know why he has to fill in one of these forms Can you help me pleaase and advise me what to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site.
Thank you for requesting I help you with your question.
If a taxpayer receives a notice to file a tax return, he/she has to fill one otherwise HMRc would levy a fixed penalty notice.
The deadlines for completing Tax return 2014 were
31 Oct 2014 for a paper return or
31 Jan 2015 if filing the return online.
You have reasonable excuse for missing the deadline because your hubsand was diagnosed with dementia in 2013.
My advice on what you should do...
- Get our husband's GP to confirm his medical condition by way of a written statement/letter
- Appeal against penalties for late filing and late payment by completing form SA370. The link to this form is here
If the tax office does not agree with your appeal, you should take your appeal further by:
- asking for it to be reviewed again by someone else in HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
- making an appeal to an independent tribunal.
More information on how to appeal is covered in the notes here
I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.