How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7541
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My wife occasionally sells copies of an original work of art

Customer Question

My wife occasionally sells copies of an original work of art - which we own - to the Canterbury Cathedral bookshop. This has involved setting up an arrangement with a local giclee printer who produce copies when needed. The order from Canterbury is erratic and depends on their sales. In an average year our net profit has been about £100.
In previous years my wife has submitted a tax return which has included this extra income. But this year - attempting to submit her form 'on line' - she has been bewildered by regulations and decided that she should enter the year's income from Canterbury under a new 'heading' and has attempted to register as a business. This has resulted in a plethora of forms and instructions which are bewildering. Attempts to phone 'gateway' have failed. Can you advise:
does an occasional activity - involving sums of less that £200 in a year - classify as a 'business'?
and if it does not, and only net income should be entered and taxed - how can she extricate herself and her tax returns from 'gateway'?
John Saunders
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.
Does your wife have any other income apart from this income from occasional activity?
Many thanks