How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Going through tax investigation, closed some accounts recently,

Customer Question

going through tax investigation, closed some accounts recently, hmrc asked for all account statement, given only available accounts, can HMRC get my closed account statement from Bank
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
In an investigation the taxpayer should provide HMRC with pretty much whatever they ask for within reason and bank statements are fundamental to all the investigations I've been involved with.
Normally, HMRC will only go back six years but they may be able to go back further if they have reason to believe a criminal offence of tax evasion has taken place. I have known HMRC to approach banks if a taxpayer says he or she cannot get the statements and frankly in these days of computerisation it beggars belief if a bank says the statements aren't available.
It's in the taxpayers interest to be as cooperative as possible and old bank statements may help the taxpayer more than they do HMRC. HMRC believe people are creatures of habit and if they find discrepancies in one tax year, they tend to believe that similar discrepancies will show up in earlier tax years.
In the absence of information such as bank statements and adequate explanations, HMRC will invariably issue estimates of tax liabilities based on what they do have which may be wildly excessive.
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
account closed 3 months ago, if i tell them i have closed account. can they get statement from bank, or ask me to get from closed account statement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ask me to get from bank closed account statement
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
They will ask you for the statements initially and if you say you cannot get them, they probably won't believe you as the account was only closed three months ago and those statements will be available. As I said in my answer, HMRC can and do approach banks directly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they have written to me if i don't give statement voluntarily, the will get it under schedule 36. is that mean they will contact the bank or they will come to me
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me if you are self-employed, a company director, an employee or a pensioner please. Would you also let me know hat has happened so far in the investigation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
self employed
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
What has happened so far in the investigation. Which tax year or tax years are HMRC interested in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Take a look at the links below for information on Schedule 36:
HMRC will issue a Schedule 36 notice to you before they issue one to a third party such as a bank.