How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Ok. i'm self employed in the uk but going to work in greece

Customer Question

ok. i'm self employed in the uk but going to work in greece where vat starts at 0 earnings, what do i do - i am only going to be there 6 weeks?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to assist you with your question. According to Greek VAT rules you must register and apply Greek VAT for the time you are working self employed in Greece. The Greek rates of VAT are: 'The current rates are:Greece standard VAT rate: 23%Greek reduced VAT rate: 13% (pharmaceuticals, foodstuffs)Greek reduced VAT rate: 6.5% (books newspapers, magazines, restaurants)Exempt from Greek VAT: insurance, financial services, postal, property, medical, health'As you are aware there is no VAT threshold as there is in the UK. You may be subject to Greek Income Tax, but that is for those permanently resident in Greece. Greek Income Tax rates are: '€0 – €25,000 22%€25,001 – €42,000 32%> €42,001 42% So you see what they say is true, the UK is a tax haven! If Greece does charge you Income Tax, under the Double Taxation Convention between the UK and Greece any tax deducted in one country is allowed as a tax credit against any liability in the other country so the same income stream does not get taxed in both jurisdictions. I do hope that I have helped shed some light on your position.