How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a Case Manager working with a client aged 16. A property

This answer was rated:

I am a Case Manager working with a client aged 16. A property has just been purchased on his behalf. This property requires significant adaptations in order for him to live and access the property. His mother has been told that because the property is habitable ( not for him !) that full council tax is chargeable. The property is currently empty, the extensive adaptation work will not start until possibly October. I believe he should be eligible for some reduction on the council tax, as full payment is being made on the property he is currently living in, and will remain in until all work is completed. Due to various health issues he has it is not possible for him to live in the property whilst the work is carried out.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.
I am afraid the advise his mother has been advised on is correct,as matters stand as sadly the considerations of adaptions for those who need them is not a permissible remit for the local council to consider any exemption from the full council tax position s it covers when the property is inhabitable for a standard day on day basis for non disabled individuals but sadly not in consideration for essential adaptions for those with additional needs.
My advise however is ask the local MP for assistance in challenging this ruling on the basis of discrimination - they are likely to be more effective in perhaps asking for a concession on this occasion. Or the local press ... but it may be the mother will have to enforce either/both of these actions, as I am sure you have to be careful what you involve yourself in due to professionalism and consideration of your job.
Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I wish I could offer a more encouraging straight forward response
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you