How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15980
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have been waiting nearly 4 months tax rebate from the

This answer was rated:

I have been waiting nearly 4 months for a tax rebate from the inland revenue for £1700. I recieved a lump sum from my company pension which was taxed at source. As a none taxpayer they informed me i could claim this back. I sent the relevent forms to the inland revenue at the begining of April. The rebate relates to tax year 2014 - 2015. I have tried several times to phone the revenue to ask why the delay but just get a recorded message saying they have an unprecedented backlog of claims. Can't get through to an advisor in person. Can I claim interest on my money for late payment


Did you keep copies of the repayment claim form and any letter you sent with it? If not, you need to make sure they have your claim. Most post sent to HMRC these days is directed to a centre where it is scanned and viewable by any of the call centres that you might reach when you call HMRC.

I'm afraid that successive governments have cut down on staffing levels in HMRC and that is why taxpayers suffer unacceptable delays. I have to say that four months does seem a little long to wait, albeit that many claims will have been made and HMRC hasn't allocated extra staff.

If I were you, I'd make a complaint using the guidance here. Sometimes, those who shout loudest get heard. Call the tax office on the number under "Income Tax: general enquiries" here and ask to speak to the complaints manager and then make a verbal complaint giving as much detail about your situation as possible. In my experience, the complaints managers are good at resolving issues. At the very least, they will find out what the backlog is and let you know.

The rate of interest paid on income tax overpayments is 0.5% per annum. For a 2014/15 repayment, you won't qualify for interest unless the repayment is made after 31 January 2016.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you